The new Seattle Central Library (opening on May 23rd) has the following items which make me shiver with jealousy:
- free wireless access in every corner of the library
- sound domes that contain the music coming from speakers in the YA area from leaking into other parts of the library
- wireless “smart” necklaces that let library staff communicate and respond from anywhere in the building
- 400 public use computers
- software that will provide a floor map diagramming each book’s location, so the catalog will tell you a book’s call number and show you exactly where to find it (being developed by a library staffer)
- a book sorter that uses RFID chips to automatically take the items to the correct bin or branch truck
Thanks to Baa Baa Blog for the link.